After all of the years that have run their course since Shel Silverstein wrote this, isn’t it still so powerful? To me, it represents how we often move through the world hidden behind masks of conformity, unable to connect to the people who radiate the energy and qualities we most seek through connection. How do we get to a place of showing up most authentically in our lives? What allows us to finally drop the masks we’ve been holding up, so that we can find our tribe, our partner, and OURSELVES?
We are born beautiful bundles of light wrapped in adorable little suits complete with the biggest eyes and tiniest toes. Open, present, and connected to the Source that we are. I’ve seen many babies born and have had the pleasure in caring for them immediately after birth. Have you ever felt the energy of a new baby? Their energy shifts the entire room. People laugh, cry, shake, clap, hug, scream, beam, and delight simply because of the presence of a newborn baby. Yes, of course part of that is because of the excitement the family has for this little one, but as everything is energy, there’s so much more to it than than the purely human/physical experience of it. In witnessing birth, we are literally witnessing a portal open up from the spiritual to the physical as a mother ushers new life into the world. How truly amazing is this life? Women are the connection between the spiritual and physical planes.
Because of the work I do in Holographic Kinetics, I have come to know that the spark of a new spirit enters its earthly form at the time of conception inside the mother’s womb. From that moment on, as holograms of our mothers, we become observers to her entire experience. Our mother’s thoughts, feelings, and experiences feel like our own as we are so intimately connected. Even at that stage of our development, we can take on beliefs and thoughts about ourselves and life that will continue to shape our realities throughout this lifetime and sometimes beyond.
Little children do not conform. They want to wear rain boots when it’s dry, sunny and 110 degrees out, they want to wear mismatched, colorful clothes, they want to sing and dance wherever they find themselves. But then, they get sent to school and around 4th grade/9 years old, they notice that other people are paying attention to them and what they’re doing, saying, and what they’re wearing. They’re noticing the same about others. And their whole world shifts. Rather than being completely free, they become easily embarrassed. They move away from their free-spirited nature, and towards what everyone else seems to expect from them. At this point, they might put on a mask to conceal their true nature. And their light dims.
As teenagers, the judgements grow as do the comparisons to each other. With social media booming, people are exposed to, and are therefore able to compare themselves to more people than ever before in humankind history. But it’s a false comparison when we pit our insides against anyone’s outsides, especially the outsides that are neatly displayed on social media. Nevertheless, all of the comparison quickly steals joy. Teens can start feeling lonely and isolated during this time, because many are not connected real person to real person, but rather masked person to masked person. They question how anyone can love them, since they know, even if only deep down, that no one REALLY knows them. And their light dims even more.
For those people blessed enough to make it out of their teens and into adulthood, they often find themselves checking off the “requirements” of adulthood as deemed appropriate by society, their parents, and their peers. College, job to pay for college, material possessions, a house large enough to store the material possessions, marriage to another masked individual with much to be revealed once the papers are signed, the debts are incurred. Passion takes a backseat to responsibility. Feeling further separated from their own inner guidance system, their own spirit and truth, their light dims more.
Clearly, I’m speaking generally. Not everyone masked themselves as children. Not everyone felt the need to conform to the rules. But the reality is that many have felt those pressures and can relate to what I am writing.
So then, how do we break free from that life-long programming that has us worrying so much about what other people think of us and what we “should” be doing that we allow our own light to be dimmed? I think for many of us, we hit a breaking point. A time when our mind, body, and/or spirit simply can’t take it anymore. The exhaustion and stress of holding up the weight of everyone else’s expectations, and misaligned expectations that we have placed on ourselves opens us up to dis-ease, breakdown, crisis, and/or collapse. Mine was dis-ease that turned into Lyme disease that attacked my heart. After years of not following my own heart and inner guidance, my physical heart nearly stopped beating. Did I recognize this beautiful metaphor as I was living through it? Absolutely not. Did I need to recognize it for the medical emergency I experienced to lead me down a road to completely shift myself and my life? No! Believe me, I was backed into a very tight corner eventually and the state of my health FORCED me to change my life.
But, I want you, the reader, to know that you don’t have to wait until body/mind/spirit pushes back and your heart nearly fails or you get into a serious car accident to change how you’re moving through the world. You can choose to listen to and follow your own spirit’s guidance now. You can make a conscious decision today to take steps towards a new reality. A reality with less rigid rules to follow, more joy, more freedom of expression, and most importantly, more alignment with your own spirit.
5 Important Reasons to Stop Fitting In:
1. Conformity squashes our spirit. You were born to be YOU!! Not your sister, brother, Mother, Father, or friend. When we’re constantly trying to fit in, we will constantly feel tired and rejected. We are, after all, rejecting ourselves by behaving this way. We have to start accepting ourselves fully and internalizing the fact that we were born to SHINE, not fit it!
2. Your vibe attracts your tribe. So if you’re showing up inauthentically in your life, you’re going to have a sense of not belonging to the groups you find yourself socializing in. Your connections will feel very surface level, because you, yourself, are staying surface level with what you reveal about yourself to others. It’s only when we expose our own depth that others will reflect that back to us and we’ll find ourselves having more meaningful connections and conversations. You can’t find your people while wearing a mask. How will they find you if you just look and act like everyone else??!
3. Authenticity is one of the most important ways to align with our own spirits and reach new levels of freedom. If we want to feel fulfilled. If you want a life of freedom, joy, and love, the best way I’ve found is to connect in with our own inner guidance system/our spirit and live from that place. If everyone showed up authentically in this world, I truly believe that there would be no gap in finding the solution to every problem. Our energetic vibrations are unique and fill a very specific need on our planet. Alignment with my spirit has led me to amazing people and opportunities. Alignment can look and feel like magic.
4. Our purpose in life is who we are, NOT what we do. As we move through the world as uniquely ourselves, we help create positive change. When we prioritize our own alignment and live with passion, freedom, and joy, our experience and elevated energy ripples out and positively affects the collective. In alignment, I’ve found that I still feel called to help people, but the difference is that I now realize that I don’t have to DO anything specific to make that so. In alignment, the things we say in conversation give people just the right insights at the right time, and we can be the catalyst for downloads of remembrance for people.
5. Following our joy and passions is a requirement, not a luxury if we want to lead more fulfilling lives. When people follow what they think they “should” do for money, fame, or to please their own parents, they often ignore their own inner guidance system (intuition/spirit) and end up feeling depleted. If you want to feel better, you’ve got to start doing more things that light you up! What made you feel most alive when you were a kid? What passions have you forgotten that you had? What part of you have you been neglecting? Our passions are a direct link to our spirit. Follow them into alignment and you’ll be rewarded with increased synchronicities that guide you towards people, situations, and opportunities that are for your highest good.
I am so grateful for the shifts that are happening on this planet. So many have come here to question and push against the status quo. There are so many beautiful spirits here who are living their truth and making it a priority to remain aligned with their own spirit. When we show up authentically, we give permission for others to do the same. When asked what love means to me recently, I answered something like: love means holding space so that a person feels comfortable being their authentic self. It’s what came out when prompted with little time to think about it. But seriously, if all we do in this life is love people into their own best version, we will have done a LOT to shift the state of this planet. Think about it: we give the people in our lives unconditional love which to me means holding space for their authenticity…authenticity is key to alignment with our own spirits…and alignment with our own spirits is what leads us to living our best lives full of more freedom, joy, love, and fulfillment!
I hope this post inspires you to take a step towards connecting with your own spirit, while disconnecting from the conformist program. I don’t know about you, but I never wanted to live a shallow life. I’ve always craved more juicy depth and meaning in my connections. We get to decide how we show up, therefore we get to decide what reality we experience. Show up as your true, raw, authentic, and vulnerable self, and you will attract everything you seek like a magnet.
“Driftin’” by Matisyahu
“Expansive soul with my wings in the air
Try to fit a circle in the square
All this talk about my look, who cares
Shallow minds just got to surface”
Listen to “Driftin’” HERE.
Thank you for reading along. If you enjoyed this post, please like and share it. Follow me on IG/FB for more inspirational content. Sending you all so much love!